The Institute of International Education, a major player in the field of international education, has a cool tool for students seeking funding for their overseas studies. IIEPassport Study Abroad Funding is an easy to use search engine. You can search IIE’s directory of study abroad scholarships and grants by region and field of study to generate a list of potential scholarship opportunities. You can also perform a keyword or scholarship name search.
I decided to do a test run of this exciting tool. My older son, a high school sophomore, has indicated an interest in studying chemical engineering and a willingness to earn his degree overseas.
When I ran the search using Asia/Oceania as the geographic region, coupled with ‘chemical engineering,’ the tool listed 31 scholarship programs. A sampling of scholarships listed include:
- 1. SIT Study Abroad Pell Grant Match Award
- 2. New Zealand Institutes of Technology and Polytechnic Study Abroad Excellence Awards
- 3. Tripping.com Study Abroad Scholarship
- 4. Allianz Global Assistance
I then re-ran the search by changing the geographical region to “Europe” and received a list of 42 programs. Many are repeats of the ones listed under Asia/Oceania, but some of the offerings include:
- 1. American Council for International Education Critical Language Scholarship (CLS) Program (funded by the State Department Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs (ECA))
- 2. British Federation of Women Graduates (BFWG) Academic Awards and Scholarships for Women for Doctoral [Note: Given the gender-specificity, this won’t meet my son’s needs, but I am including to show the breadth of programs.]
- 3. Chateaubriand Fellowship (sponsored by the French embassy)
- 4. DAAD Undergraduate Scholarship (sponsored by the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD))